I took a little last-minute trip to the south side of Lake Somerville for a 2-night stay in May. I love how the trees in this park are covered in Spanish Moss. Gives it an east Texas/Louisiana vibe. Love bugs are out in force. It’s that time of year. But luckily, no mosquitoes yet. Had a good camping trip with my trusty 4-legged companion and I coaxed her into the kayak for the first time.. It has definitely warmed up. Temps were in the mid-90’s, but I’ll take that over freezing temps any day! I wanted to put on a little color this weekend, but PINK wasn’t one of them. Got a little more than I bargained for.
10550 Rocky Creek Park Rd.
Burton, TX 77835
🗺 Park Map
Type of Park: COE (USACE)
Check In: 3 pm Check Out: 2 pm
- 🔙 Back In
🅿 Site Pad: level, crushed granite, length
- 💧 Water - height of faucet
⚡ Max amp: 50 - all green lights
🔥 Fire Ring w/Grate
Picnic Table: metal mesh with metal legs, good condition, covered
🏊🏻♀️ Good view of the lake and easy water access for swimming, kayaks, etc
🌞 Good sunset view from this site
🚿 Very close to the restrooms and showers
- 📺 Cable
- 💩 Sewer - condition, height
- The site is level, but the surrounding area has a somewhat steep slope towards the water, so watch young children.
- No shade trees at this site
- Depending on the size and location of your awning, it may interfere with the cover over the picnic table because of the arrangement of the site (mine fit perfectly under the overhang)
📝 Park Notes:
🚻 Restrooms and 🚿 Showers were clean
- 💩 Dump Station near the old boat ramp gets crowded on Sundays. The dump station near the entrance of the park seems to be on the wrong side. When leaving the park, go to the far entrance and make a U-turn into the station.
- 🔎 Munzees and Geocaches in the Park
- 🚶🏻♀️ Trails
- 🚤 Boat ramps available
- 🚧 Gates are closed and locked from 10 pm to 6 am
- 🦌 Deer, squirrels, birds on land and in the water
- 👩🏻💼 Staff was helpful and friendly
- Reservations through Recreation.gov
Regular cost per night $28
Discounts:America the Beautiful Access Pass if you qualify for them
My Total Cost 💲56
In the Area:
- 🛒 Brookshire Brothers, Family Dollar, Dollar General in Somerville
- 🍽 Wild Bill's - across from the entrance to the Park has good burgers and handcut fries. (Also a small convenience store and has tables outside under covered pavilion)
- 🍽 Several restaurants in Somerville
- 🍺 Beer available at Wild Bill’s
💜 Highlights of this trip:
Love bugs are back 🙄
- Took my new dog on the kayak for the first time (with me). She did very well considering she doesn’t really like the water.
- 🐕 Camping with my trusty companion, Pepper
- 🐟 Fish Fry Fundraiser in Snook (I didn't even have to clean them).
- The neighbors invited me over to watch I Can Only Imagine on an outdoor screen. Nice breeze, so it was perfect
- My brother came out to visit with his roommate and his dog
- Did I mention Love Bugs???
- 🚘 49.4 miles round trip - 10.5 mph