I would rather camp than be in the stores before Christmas, especially this year. It's just not the same. I was supposed to have Boondockers this weekend, but they cancelled so I made last-minute reservations and hit the road.
Birch Creek Unit, Lake Somerville State Park
14222 PR 57, Somerville, Texas, USA 77879
Type of Park: State
Check In: 2p Check Out: 12p
December 22-24, 2021 - 2 Nights
⛺ Site #73, Old Hickory Loop - Back-In
💲20 per night + $4/person/day entry fee
Daily fee waived and 1/2 off 2nd night with the Texas State Parks Pass
• 20/30 amp (had 50 amp outlet, but only 20 & 30 breakers)
• Fire Ring with adjustable height grate
• Picnic Table: Wood with metal legs, has a canopy, concrete base
• Site Pad: asphalt. Site was long enough for my camper and my truck and was about double-wide
• Accessible site: wide site, concrete walkways (there were others available in the park so I didn't take the last one)
• Near the water with a trail to get there
• Green space between the site and neighbors
• Good buffer from the wind
• No complaints
📝 Park Notes:
• Park does not have a gate
• Dump Station for each camping loop
• Restrooms / Showers in each loop
• Boat ramp
• Old Fishing jetty/pier is closed
• This campground is better for winter camping. Great buffer from wind and neighbors. Only a handful of sites have direct access to the water.
• Lots of trails
• There are Munzees (including a new one I put out) and Geocaches here
• Group pavilion/kitchen available
• 2 group shelters available
• 🎣 They recently stocked the front pond with rainbow trout
• Birds: Shore birds, gulls, egrets, herons, cardinals, mockingbirds, chickadees
💜 Highlights of this trip:
• Walking the trails
• Finding Geocaches
• Campfires at night and in the morning to make breakfast
• I love using the packets that change the colors of the flames - AFTER I have done my cooking.
• My brother changed out some light fixtures - LIGHT!!!
• Solo Trip
• NOT being in the stores a couple days before Christmas!
• My son is coming out later to spend Christmas Eve night at the house
🛒 Check out some of my favorite Gadgets and Gear.
Post a Comment